[FX.php List] [OT] SSL problem with Mac OS X Server SOLVED

Jason LEWIS jasonlewis at weber.edu
Thu Dec 28 01:23:00 MST 2006

If you would like to use a passphrase, you can put it into a secure file
on the server at /etc/httpd/servermgr_web_httpd_config.plist.  Or you
could use the GUI to put in the passphrase.  It is in one of the server
admin programs.  I think it is called server admin.

>>> Bob Patin <bob at patin.com> 12/27/2006 5:01 PM >>>
Hi all,

I thought I'd share this with the list, in case there are any others
out there using Mac OS X Server, and who want to use an SSL
certificate.

I had tons of trouble trying to get the cert installed and working on

my server, and finally found a Linux guru who knows Apache (which is
what OS X Server uses) well enough to help me find the problem.

As it turns out, when you generate a ceritificate signing request
(CSR), you don't *have* to use a passphrase. What I discovered was
that, by using a passphrase for my CSR, I was using a cert that
required this passphrase when Apache started up.

So we started Apache manually in the Terminal, supplied the
passphrase, and it started up. However, we then discovered that a
proxy event (which aliases port 80 to another port) didn't occur, and

all but the SSL site didn't come up.

So I created a new CSR without a passphrase, and it worked flawlessly

from the start.

So for any of you wanting to use a cert on your OS X Server: don't
put in a passphrase and it'll work fine for you.

Hope this is helpful for someone; best regards,

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954
      Yahoo: longterm_solutions