[FX.php List] Convoluted scheme for creating summaries

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Sun Aug 20 21:23:52 MDT 2006

Dan,

Yes, I'd thought of that (I'm working in FM8, by the way), but the
problem is that I have no way to know how many subsummary values I'll
end up with any given report.

I wrote a test page that loops through the found set, counting up as
the records are added to a table. Basicaqlly I wrote a little code
that looks at the summary field; every time it changes from the
previous loop, that means it's time to add a summary line to the
table. This works fine, but my plan fell apart when I remembered that
the found set is limited to 50 records, and sometimes these reports
may have more than 50 records.

So I'd have to do a 2nd query, take the totals from the first 50, add
them to the 2nd 50, and so on, until I had all my totals. I know this
would work, but it's a huge pain to write it all.

I was hoping that someone would have faced this problem before and
have a simpler solution.

I haven't delved into the FileMaker API yet; does it do anything that
I can't do with FX.php? Like this, for example? I've gotten pretty
comfortable in FX, and really don't want to switch unless there's a
compelling reason to do so.

Thanks for your suggestion,