[FX.php List] Convoluted scheme for creating summaries

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Sun Aug 20 20:05:56 MDT 2006

OK list, I've come up with a convoluted scheme for creating some
summary values; if anyone has a better way to do this, please let me
know:

I need to be able to go to a table, search by a value, and then on
the results, sort it and get some summary values.

My concern was how to send a variable to the database, so this is
what I've planned:

Create a table w/one record and a few fields (I'll call it the "temp"
table)
Write to this field, thereby sending a variable from the web to the
database
Using this variable, which is an ID for a client, I can then

Trigger a script, which will search a table, pull out the right
records, sort them, and then create a summary.
Then I can plug all these summary values into my same "temp" table,
and then retrieve them with FX.

My concern however, is what will happen if two clients trigger this
script simultaneously.

So my question: is there a way, when triggering a script, to pass a
variable along as well, as in a function?

Better yet, is there a way to retrieve summary values in FX.php?

Thanks for any thoughts,

bob at longtermsolutions.com

   CONTACT US VIA INSTANT MESSAGING:
      AIM or iChat: longterm1954