[FX.php List] FX.php and SQL queries against FMSA 8

Jason H Awbrey jawbrey at harmonic-data.com
Tue Apr 4 22:08:04 MDT 2006

John, Joel and Chris,

Thanks for the answers. Just so I don't sound like a total nut case,
let me elaborate a bit. I have a solution that is tied to an ENORMOUS
FileMaker system. Due to the complexity of the system, the CWP
interface via XML/FX.php is slower than (I believe) it should be.
Query times at this point are in the 7-12 second range. That's about
6-11 seconds waiting for FileMaker to respond (work through the
metadata) and then ~1 second to return the XML. There have been some
version updates that could give us a performance boost, but I won't
get to implement those until I move everything to a new server tomorrow.

Now that Chris has added the ODBC features to the FX.php class, I was
thinking it would be easy to test and see if the ODBC interface would
be any faster than the XML interface by simply changing my queries to
use the ODBC query string. It is understood that under normal
circumstances the ODBC interface would be a bit slower than the XML
interface due to the information that it has to return. The thought
would be to create an ODBC interface file with an abstracted TOG of
just the TOs we would need access to.

If that doesn't get  the desired results, I've got a trick or two
more up my sleeve using XML, they're just a bit more involved. I'll
bark up that tree when I get there...

Isn't optimization fun?!?

Cheers,
Jason