[FX.php List] Encoding foreign language characters

Dennis Crall dennis-crall at uiowa.edu
Thu Sep 29 12:50:36 MDT 2005

Hi,

So I'm migrating a solution from FM6 to FM7. The site is for the most part
in English, but there are many references to foreign museums (e.g. Colecção
Vieira Natividade, Portugal).

At one point in my site, I do a search on the database where the museum name
is the search parameter. FX does a good job and encodes the foreign
characters in the url. The request url that FX sends looks like this:

http://host/fmi/xml/FMPXMLRESULT.xml?-db=database&-lay=web_layout&Location=C
olec%E7%E3o+Vieira+Natividade%2C+Portugal&-find

This search worked perfectly in FM6, and it works in FM7 when the name
doesn't contain foreign characters or if I truncate the search string in
front of the first encoded character.

So I'm wondering what's going on? Is this a FileMaker problem? Do I have an
encoding problem somewhere?

Has anyone seen something similar during a conversion?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you,

Dennis Crall
ITS-Academic Technologies
The University of Iowa