[FX.php List] AJAX and FX.php

Dale Bengston dbengston at preservationstudio.com
Tue Oct 18 22:20:52 MDT 2005

Hi Dan,

I have it working. I have a time-tracking solution for a graphic-
design firm that's based on FMSA and FX.PHP. Users click on a grid
(fancy JavaScript) to register quarter hours of time spent on various
projects. Any modified lines of time are automatically saved out at
intervals to FMP via AJAX without having to "submit" the page or
refresh.

The AJAX JavaScript passes information to a server-side PHP page,
which includes the FX.PHP call to FMSA edit a record, or add a new
one if necessary. The PHP page returns the record id to the
JavaScript so it can be added to any new lines of time so they will
be edited the next time around.

Things I learned along the way...

1. AJAX creates a new set of UI challenges. The typical user
expectation is that to commit data to a database, you submit a form,
wait, and get a new page. It was hard to convince some users that
something is happening and their changes were saved without
refreshing the page. I had to develop some icons to provide feedback:
time has not been saved, time is getting saved, time is saved.

2. I wasted a lot of time trying to adapt the AJAX code posted by
others. I would have been better off to just do my homework up-front
on XMLHttpRequest and write my own from scratch.

3. When I first had the idea to build this time-tracking solution
using AJAX, I thought I'd use AJAX everywhere. Now, I'm not so sure.
It has its places, but it's not a substitute for every conventional
site I develop.

Back in July, Marisa Smith and I cooked up a proof of concept of
using FileMaker data and AJAX to populate a "Google Suggests" type
drop-down menu. You can see it at <http://www.streamline-studio.com/
AJAX/index.php>. It's a really rough page, and it's terribly slow
because of where it's getting its FMP data. But it works. This one is
built on the work of others; I wish I had time to re-do it from
scratch. Did I mention it's ugly and slow? Really. Ugly. Slow.

Hope this helps,
Dale

--
Dale Bengston