[FX.php List] Returning FX Object From Function

Charles Ross chivalry at mac.com
Fri Dec 9 19:53:21 MST 2005

I'm only slightly above beginner with PHP and an absolute beginner
with FX.php. If this question is more properly sent elsewhere, please
let me know.

I have three lines that are exactly the same for all of my php files
with the exception of one parameter (the layout name sent to SetDBData).

$instanceName = new FX($serverIP, $webCompanionPort);
$instanceName->SetDBData($fileName, 'WebAwardCategories');
$instanceName->SetDBPassword($webPW, $webUN);

For instance, here's my index.php file:

<?php
include_once('functions.php'); // includes the FX.php and
server_data.php files.
$instanceName = new FX($serverIP, $webCompanionPort);
$instanceName->SetDBData($laurelFile, 'WebAwardCategories');
$instanceName->SetDBPassword($webPW, $webUN);
$instanceResult = $instanceName->FMFindAll();
?>
<head>
<title>Testing</title>
</head>
Error Code: <?php echo $instanceResult['errorCode']; ?><br>
Found Count: <?php echo $instanceResult['foundCount']; ?><br>

<?php
foreach($instanceResult['data'] as $key=>$instanceData)
{
   echo $instanceData['SubCategory'][0];?>
<?php } ?>

My thought was to create a function to perform these three lines of
code:

function NewFX($layout)
{
   $fxphp = new FX($serverIP, $webCompanionPort);
   $fxphp->SetDBData($laurelFile, $layout);
   $fxphp->SetDBPassword($webPW, $webUN);

   return $fxphp;
}

Then my index.php file becomes:

<?php
include_once('functions.php');
$instanceName = NewFX('WebAwardCategories');
$instanceResult = $instanceName->FMFindAll();
?>
<head>
<title>Testing</title>
</head>
Error Code: <?php echo $instanceResult['errorCode']; ?><br>
Found Count: <?php echo $instanceResult['foundCount']; ?><br>

<?php
foreach($instanceResult['data'] as $key=>$instanceData)
{
   echo $instanceData['SubCategory'][0];?>
<?php } ?>

displays the data from each of those records' SubCategory field.

Warning: Cannot use a scalar value as an array in /Library/WebServer/
Documents/Laurel/index.php on line 18

Line 18 is the foreach statement near the bottom of the file.

Is what I want to do possible? What am I doing wrong? Can PHP
functions not return an object?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck