[FX.php List] FileMaker 7/8 and PHP WITHOUT FX.php?

Dale Bengston dbengston at preservationstudio.com
Fri Dec 2 14:30:12 MST 2005

Hi Elleni,

You have received some great comments from lots of enthusiastic
FX.PHP users on this list. I can't add much to the benefits stated
here, so I'd like to take a step back and try and get to what this
guy is really asking. It seems to me that he really isn't
understanding what FX.PHP does, which is parse FMP's XML so you don't
have to. It's a free, open-source, well-supported tool. If your
developers are using PHP to talk to mySQL, it should be pretty darn
easy to adapt those skills to FX.PHP. Maybe he's throwing up the
roadblock of not using FX.PHP to try and keep FMP out of his web world.

Well, if FMP where the data is, then that's where he should go get it
for the web, and FX.PHP is going to make that about as easy as you
can imagine. I have encountered this scenario from the other
perspective on many occasions: client's data is in MS SQLServer or
mySQL, and that's where it is going to stay. So I have to do my job
and integrate that data source with my FMP sources and put it all to
the web.

That's all a long way of saying it sounds like he just doesn't want
to do it, and he doesn't want to learn what he needs to learn so he
can do it. Even if you can prove the viability of FX.PHP to him, I
would expect more roadblocks to be tossed up.

Good luck. We're in your corner!
Dale Bengston