[FX.php List] Creating new portal record via form

Chris Hansen chris at iViking.org
Wed Aug 17 10:45:25 MDT 2005

Marisa,

Yes, PHP will replace periods with underscores as they come in via a
form.  At least, I'm pretty sure it's PHP.  There are a number of ways
that you could handle this:

1) Add a PHP array to the top of your processing page that sets up a
one-to-one correlation between the names of form fields and database
fields.  This would also allow you to hide information about your DB
from people who view the pages' source.  Not a bad idea.  This would
look something like this:

$translationArray = new array('field1_0' => 'FM_Field_1.0', 'field2_0'
=> 'FM_Field_2.0');

2) Use a specific pattern which wouldn't normally appear in a field
name any place that you want a '.' to appear on the FileMaker side,
then do a replace (I'm using three underscores in a row, in my
example):

$mod_main->AddDBParam(str_replace('___', '.', $key), $value);

There are other ways that you could handle this, too.  That said,
whatever you do, I'd suggest changing the names of the fields on the
form side.  Although PHP does appear to change '.' to '_' very
consistently in form element names, it's generally unwise to base code
on this sort of behavior.  By changing the field names, you ensure that
you're in control of what is sent.

HTH

--Chris Hansen
   creator of FX.php
   "The best way from FileMaker to the Web."
   www.iViking.org