[FX.php List] FX and FM14

Steve Winter steve at bluecrocodile.co.nz
Wed Nov 11 08:52:09 MST 2015

Hi Roger

If you’re running OS X then things aren’t anything like as bad from the ‘ports used’ perspective as if you were on Windows.

You can more-or-less keep doing what you’ve been doing, you just need to edit a different config file to the default apache one, and restart apache differently as well.

Once you have FMS 14 installed on the machine, it essentially disables the default Apache install, and sets up its own. The config files for which are found in:
	/Library/FileMaker Server/HttpServer/conf
which should all look familiar to you in terms of files etc.

If you make changes to those config files and need to restart the FM instance of Apache use
	sudo /Library/FileMaker\ Server/HTTPServer/bin/httpdctl graceful

I’d also suggest taking a look at https://community.filemaker.com/thread/75138?start=0&tstart=0 <https://community.filemaker.com/thread/75138?start=0&tstart=0> which talk about the FMS13 world, but at the end of the thread you’ll see that people are also making use of this for FMS14.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Steve

> Malcolm - thank you!
>
>> On Nov 10, 2015, at 3:27 PM, Malcolm Fitzgerald <malcolm at notyourhomework.net <mailto:malcolm at notyourhomework.net>> wrote:
>>
>> Previously, it was possible to run FMS beside other services without conflict. Now it matters: FileMaker has claimed the webserver and ports 80 and 443. Of course, it affects the machine running WPE.
>>
>> For running web pages along with FMS
>> a. You can run another instance of Apache, provided it uses ports other than 80 and 443.
>
> This seems like a non-starter without some trickery somewhere to change requests on Port 80 for domain xxxxx to be handled as requests on Port  8080 (for example) for domain xxxxx
>
>> b. You can move everything into the FileMaker web directory.
>
> If I do that, is there a way to have virtual hosts set up so that all of my domains/sub-domains still all work as expected.
>
>> c. Set up a virtual machine running BSD or Linux for your web services.
>
> Another level of complication for a lowly volunteer for a genealogical society with a bunch of databases totalling 2.7 million records online from 2 Mac minis in his basement to try and wrap his head around.
>
> Here’s a simplified example of my situation.
>
> I have a two machine FileMaker setup
>
> Mac mini Apache is set up with PHP, MySQL and Apache all running under regular Mac OS X 10.9 This has the FileMaker WPE installed on it
>
> Mac mini FileMaker also running Mac OS X 10.9  is set up with FileMaker Server 12 and holds all the FileMaker databases.
>
> Our genealogy society has a Volume License Agreement with FileMaker, but I don’t always upgrade for every version - I’m on Server 12 now, having moved there from Server 10 and to there from Server 8. An upgrade usually involved lots of homework, then taking both machines off-line - routing all requests for everything to another Macintosh that simply displays a “sorry we’re down - I’m upgrading” page for hopefully the few hours it takes to achieve the upgrade. I don’t have enough resources to build the new setup in parallel and then switch to it when it’s running.
>
> I have a single IP number and the routing takes place in an AirPort Extreme base station - most requests are sent to Mac mini Apache (web, FTP etc) while FileMaker type requests (Server Admin on port 16000, FileMaker requests on 5003 and whatever other ports are involved) are sent to Mac mini FileMaker based on the Port being requested.
>
> Two of the domains I host are LisaAndRoger.com <http://lisaandroger.com/> and data.wmgs.org <http://data.wmgs.org/>
>
> LisaAndRoger.com <http://lisaandroger.com/> is a WordPress install. It is run entirely from Mac mini Apache and has no interaction with Mac mini FileMaker
>
> data.wmgs.org <http://data.wmgs.org/> is a site with a number of FileMaker databases. It’s run from Mac mini Apache with the WPE calling Mac mini FileMaker for all the database queries

> [...]

Steve Winter