[FX.php List] Can't connect with manually installed php on Windows 2008 Server

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Tue Jul 22 09:45:43 MDT 2014

Jonathan and Dale,

I agree with you guys that PHP web apps take a back bench at Devcon; when you think about it, there's not a lot of revenue coming from web apps, when compared with seats of FileMaker and now with WebDirect. My impression is that FMI is putting a lot of emphasis on WebDirect as a primary revenue source going forward, and that's not something that in which I have a lot of interest.

When clients contact me about web apps that they need, the first question I ask is always the number of users they expect to have. If they anticipate more the 3 or 4, I strongly discourage their considering WebDirect because it's too expensive to use as a replacement for a good PHP web app. As a result, I'm steering clients *away* from WebDirect, but I have to advise what I think is the most cost-effective solution for clients.

I don't think PHP will go away, nor do I expect FMI to stop supporting it, but it's clear that their focus is on mobile, WebDirect and the desktop, in that order; For me, I enjoy doing straight-up FileMaker programming as much as I do PHP, so it really doesn't matter to me, but it means that Devcon doesn't offer much for those whose focus is mainly on web app development.

One venue for getting more conversation going regarding web app development is Pause On Error, when and if the next one occurs; I could benefit from lots of sessions around web app design, and I'm sure there are others who'd be interested as well.

Another idea would be to try to set one up just like the Pause organizers did; we could come up with some topics, find a suitable hotel, put the word out on a few forums, and see what happens. I'd be extremely interested in something like this, and wonder how much interest could be found from others...

Topics that come to mind:

FX.php techniques
FileMaker API techniques
JQuery integration
Using other technologies
Integrating a web app into an existing framework like WordPress or other site-template constructs

If anyone is interested, please post here; maybe we could develop our own unconference for the fall.

Best,

bob at longtermsolutions.com
615-333-6858
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: bobpatin at me.com
Twitter: bobpatin