[FX.php List] [OFF] Multiple Servers [WAS FMS13 & SSL?]

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Fri Jul 18 06:41:41 MDT 2014

On Jul 17, 2014, at 10:20 PM, Joel Shapiro <mail at jsfmp.com> wrote:

> (Am I the only person here putting the WPE onto the web server?)

No, that’s what I used to do all the time, but not anymore; I like the idea of having a web server that has no WPE on it, and then accessing the WPE on whatever FM Server I plan to use for that web app.

What would really be nice is if somehow we could use a single machine with multiple WPEs on it; this can be done w/ virtual machines though...

> I will say, though, that I never understood why FMI never mentions the non-FM web server in their "deployment alternatives", since (a) it's easier & (b) could allow *more* use of FM/CWP by letting people know they can have their FM-served data on their existing website/webhost.

They do mention it, as the 3-machine alternative, although I’ve never tried it. They don’t really mention the method that I’m using now though, where the WPE is on FM Server and the web server is just a normal non-FM web server; I suspect that’s because their best-use guidelines recommend not using FM Server for anything but database service…

I don’t go to FMI for any assistance with FM things though; my experience with their tech support has (to put it mildly) not been positive.

bob at longtermsolutions.com
615-333-6858
FileMaker 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Certified Developer
http://www.longtermsolutions.com
-
iChat: bobpatin at me.com
Twitter: bobpatin