[FX.php List] Some Community Updates

Bruce Robertson bfr at concise-design.com
Wed Jan 29 10:18:06 MST 2014

Quoting from another list I'm on - regarding PHP performance - perhaps some of this is of interest?

Me = Bruce Robertson
Quoted person = Eric Anderson

> I'm building a prototype in WordPress because it's simpler, but when it's
> time for the real launch, WordPress and PHP just won't cut it. How are the
> logistics of converting code from one to another? Is that an even bigger
> nightmare?

If you're comfortable with PHP, you might consider using a framework
like Laravel and cutting out Wordpress, Ruby and/or Node all together.

I know most people dismiss PHP these days, but they're basing this on
their PHP 5.2.x experience. The language has evolved quite a bit in
the past 3-4 years.

PHP's got Composer/Packagist now, you can write incredibly testable
SOLID code with Laravel, you can match Node's event driven performance
with ReactPHP:

http://philsturgeon.co.uk/blog/2013/11/benchmarking-codswallop-nodejs-v-php

Pretty good comparison of Node vs Laravel:

http://thesimplesynthesis.com/post/node-js-vs-laravel

And if you really need perforamnce, you can use HHVM which is really
starting to make significant strides in increasing performance over the
Zend engine and getting closer to 100% PHP language compatibility.

PHP is really a completely different animal these days.

Eric
http://www.mindworksdev.com