[FX.php List] [off] Determining if client has Javascript enabled

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Tue Sep 10 09:12:55 MDT 2013

I looked all over the web for a good method for determining, using PHP, whether a client has Javascript enabled.

After trying a few and not getting a single one to work as promised, I finally just resorted to a simple method, but I'm wondering what others of you use:

When using JQuery, I always load my index page with the first contents that the user will see, whether it's a login form or perhaps some greetings text.

So since JQuery is loading this when the visitor first arrives, I simply load my content DIV (where my content swaps out in the app) with a message like

"Javascript is required for this website to function.
Please enable Javascript and reload this page."

It works fine, since the text never gets swapped out if JQuery fails to function, but I'm wondering if any of you have a better, more elegant method; using my method, the user sees the error msg. for a moment until the JQ loads the appropriate content...

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
bob at longtermsolutions.com
FileMaker 9, 10, 11& 12 Certified Developer
Twitter: bobpatin
AIM: longterm1954
iChat: bobpatin
--