[FX.php List] [OFF] Slow response when sending PHP email?

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Wed May 8 16:09:23 MDT 2013

Hi all

I haven't needed to send mail from PHP for a while but I may need to do so in an upcoming project.

One thing that has bothered me when I've used an email library (Swift Mailer or PHPMailer) is that it seems to take quite a long time (3+/- seconds) for the mail to send, thus delaying the loading of the 'results' page.  I understand that this way I can check for failed sending, but I generally don't want to delay things for the end user for that -- and I'd rather deal w/ them behind the scenes, on the server end.

How do others here deal with this?  Is there a way to off-load the email sending so that the user gets a quick response to their submission?  AJAX perhaps?

TIA,
-Joel