[FX.php List] About migrating to MySQL: Pulling data from multiple related tables

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Mon Dec 9 13:09:38 MST 2013

Hi Folks,

Haven't posted for awhile....

I'm doing my first migration to MySQL and need some advice on how to accomplish the same functionality on MySQl as on FileMaker.

Performing a simple query in a single table proved easy.

The problem is how to retrieve data from multiple related tables.  I added a "LEFT JOIN" statement to the MySQL query and successfully pulled data from one related table, but failed to get results from multiple related tables.  It could have been syntax errors on the subsequent JOIN statements.

Am I approaching this correctly?

In FileMaker, we often have many related tables and can pull from any (as long as they are on the layout).  I'm not getting the same vibe from MySQL as I explore the options.

I used brute force to get past the issue: I issued multiple queries, one to each table...but I'm pretty sure that's not the way to go. ;-)

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan
Jonathan Schwartz