[FX.php List] Do RackSpace "Snapshots" conform to Best Practices?

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Sat Mar 10 11:53:39 MST 2012

Here's a Post Mortem....

The memory upgrade process was successful using SnapShots, with a few
bumps in the road.

- The process took about 20 minutes for each machine, not 2.5 hours.
We spent more time checking the system over after the fact than the
process itself took.

- FMS Console was hosed after the process.  Web Publishing was
working but FMS Console said it wasn't.  A quick re-deployment of Web
Publishing on the FMS Master machine solved that.

- The FileMaker db files opened without incident, even though they
were copied live during the snapshot process.  A contributing factor:
The web traffic was minimal at 3AM. Plus there were no writes to the
files going on. Just reads.  Nevertheless, the files were tossed and
replaced with files taken as backup just before the process started.
The IT staff challenged the need for this one more time, since things
appeared to be working OK.

- I have requested this new India IT team to test the assumption that
snapshots of FileMaker virtual instances will actually be usable
immediately in the case they are needed for recovery.  Based on this
experience, I would say not.  At least, not without some expert FM
Developer supervision to fix broken stuff.

Hope that is helpful to you all.

Thanks again for the help.

Jonathan