[FX.php List] [OFF] Looking for information about load-balancing

Tony White tony_white at twdesigns.com
Sun Jun 17 11:27:49 MDT 2012

We recently went live on a FileMaker <-> Web using External SQL Data Sources
(ESS) project
http://www.twdesigns.com/development/past_projects/filemaker_web_using_exter
nal_sql_data_sources_ess.php

Here are my thoughts on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) platform

They give you lots of different infrastructure pieces (filtered for your
project) that you can put together (from the docs):
* Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2)
* Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3)
* Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (Amazon VPC)
* Amazon CloudFront
* Amazon Route 53

Here from the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud User Guide
* Amazon Machine Images and Instances
* Regions and Availability Zones
* Amazon EBS Volumes
* Networking and Security
* Monitoring, Auto Scaling, and Load Balancing (page 9)
* etc.

I would up reading about 1,000 pages of Amazon user guide and white pages.
There was a lot of stuff that was new to me.

I just sent you 2 of the intro PDFs back channel.
Here are the Amazon EC2 Getting Started Guide and the Amazon EC2 User Guide
http://aws.amazon.com/documentation/ec2/

Amazon Web Services provides the bare bones infrastructure.
The paid support answered 2 of 3 questions and refused to answer the 3rd
question saying that they only support the bare bones infrastructure.

The support (paid and free) in general was slower to respond than
advertised.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

All the best,