[FX.php List] [OFF] Looking for information about a load-balancing system

John May jmaymailing at pointinspace.com
Fri Jun 15 14:27:19 MDT 2012

Note that DNS failover isn't fullproof, as some ISPs (read AOL) do not
respect the TTL settings in DNS servers and can take up to 24 hours to
refresh their caches.

	- John

On 6/15/12 2:31 PM, Jonathan Schwartz wrote:
> Bob,
>
> So the goal is 100% uptime and to keep the serving business in-house, eh?
>
> I have used a DNS failover service from DNSMadeEasy.com, although other
> firms offer the same service. Your DNS is managed by the firm who polls
> the availability of the target servers. If one server goes offline, it
> switched to the other.
>
> Two issues: how long does it take to detect the downed server? Their web
> site says 2-4 minutes. That is not 100% uptime. Also, you would have to
> have a server running somewhere else, probably at a colo facility. You
> can still consider it your servers.
>
> Hey, here's an idea...you can run your secondary on my servers and I can
> run my secondary on yours.
>
> Jonathan
>

> At 1:46 PM -0500 6/14/12, Longterm Solutions wrote:
>> I have a large client to whom I lease servers; they've expressed
>> concern about what might happen if a catastrophic outage were to occur
>> at my hosting company here--if, for example, the phone lines citywide
>> went down, taking out all Internet connections for the city or the
>> region.
>>
>> I mentioned a load-balancing system to them, but don't have much
>> knowledge about how they work, the cost involved, etc. My suggestion
>> to them was for us to possibly have a redundant system in a 2nd
>> location somewhere in the US, and use a load-balancing system to roll
>> their site to the second host if any failure should occur.
>> If anyone has information about this, I would appreciate hearing about
>> it; there may be others interested on this forum, so replying in the
>> forum might be useful.
>>
>> Thanks,

John May : President                   http://www.pointinspace.com/
Point In Space Internet Solutions         800.664.8610 919.338.8198

         Professional FileMaker Pro, MySQL, PHP & Lasso Hosting
           on shared, virtual and hardware dedicated servers