[FX.php List] [OFF] Looking for information about a load-balancing system

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Fri Jun 15 13:25:58 MDT 2012

On Jun 15, 2012, at 1:31 PM, Jonathan Schwartz wrote:

> Bob,
>
> So the goal is 100% uptime and to keep the serving business in-house, eh?

Well, pretty much; my plan is to put the redundant system with another company somewhere on the left coast... some lesser host... :)

> I have used a DNS failover service from DNSMadeEasy.com, although
> other firms offer the same service.  Your DNS is managed by the firm
> who polls the availability of the target servers. If one server goes
> offline, it switched to the other.

Well, that's really all I need then; I'll check into it.

> Two issues: how long does it take to detect the downed server? Their
> web site says 2-4 minutes.

Good enough for these guys though...

> That is not 100% uptime. Also, you would
> have to have a server running somewhere else, probably at a colo
> facility. You can still consider it your servers.
>
> Hey, here's an idea...you can run your secondary on my servers and I
> can run my secondary on yours.

What kind of bandwidth do you have? They have about 3 million static HTML pages; the guy uses Apple Remote to update his pages, but I don't know if another host will let him do that (he leases these machines from me).

Let's talk offline, maybe we can work something out.

BP

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
bob at longtermsolutions.com
FileMaker 9, 10 & 11 Certified Developer
Twitter: bobpatin
Google+: http://www.longtermsolutions.com/plus
AIM: longterm1954
iChat: bobpatin