[FX.php List] [off] jQuery character encoding issue

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed Jan 18 14:32:48 MST 2012

OK, here's one for you guys:

I have a site that uses static HTML pages to display reports that the client generates using a VB parser I wrote for him 12 years ago.

The HTML is pretty ugly, spawned by MS Word that he has running on an ancient Mac; the encoding it uses is Windows-1252.

In their old site,which is still up until I finish this rewrite, I used ISO-8859-1; this was back in 2004 or 5 when I didn't know to use UTF-8.

At any rate…

I'm using jQuery, so there's only one page with a HEAD section, and I've tried changing its charset to both ISO-8859-1 and to Windows-1252, but in both cases the text in his included pages gets bad characters for all the single-quotes.

Basically the entire HTML for the page is like this (slightly abbreviated):

include_once('html/$content'); // $content is a link to a static HTML page that I can't edit and which is encoded with Windows-1252

$html .= '</div>';

echo $html;

I tried putting a HEAD section above all this, making it a self-contained HTML page, but it still renders wrong when I use it inside jQuery; when I load the page by itself it works fine.

You won't see it in Safari, but it's in Firefox; here are 2 links where you can see it:

http://v2.advantastar.com/v2_start.php?r=2000000

Select any year, then a make, and then 2 vehicles in the forms as they load. On the final page you'll see the report with odd symbols in place of all the single and double quotes.

Now you can try this, and you'll see a clean page:

http://v2.advantastar.com/v2_comp.php?g=2011%20Saab%209-5

That works fine, no problems with encoding.

Any ideas? Is there a way to send an encoding command in jQuery?

Thanks

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
bob at longtermsolutions.com
FileMaker 9, 10 & 11 Certified Developer
Twitter: bobpatin
Google+: http://www.longtermsolutions.com/plus
AIM: longterm1954
iChat: bobpatin