[FX.php List] Upgrading Software

Roger Moffat rogerkiwi at mac.com
Wed Dec 5 16:06:47 MST 2012

Hi Joel

On Dec 5, 2012, at 5:44 PM, Joel Shapiro wrote:

> Just a quick note that "Web Sharing" in the Sharing System Preference has been removed from *regular* OS X 10.8 (as opposed to OS X Server).
>
> If you'll be using regular/non-Server Mountain Lion, you'll need to turn apache on and off with with a simple command line in Terminal, or via a GUI app for that purpose.

Yes I was aware of that - I didn't mention in my post that I have another Mac - a MacBook Pro that has Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on it, and I'd learned of the disappearance of the Web Sharing "button" when it was released and I installed it there.

I use the MacBook Pro as a test for other things like what version of PHP Apple is distributing, and whether it now has things like the GD Library (it does) and FreeType and other needed things (it does - it's slowly getting better over the years.

I haven't ever installed FileMaker Server on that machine, but with this upgrade I might do it there first to straighten out the things Troy has mentioned before breaking - I mean upgrading - the Mac Pro.

Actually I don't remember exactly what I did, but the MacBook Pro computer now starts up automatically every time I restart it with WebSharing turned on. I guess I'll have to remember what I did to that one to have it work on the MacPro once that is upgraded. It probably was what is written here

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57481978-263/how-to-enable-web-sharing-in-os-x-mountain-lion/

> I don't remember the specific commands but just google for it.

sudo apachectl start
sudo apachectl stop
sudo apachectl restart

are the commands.