[FX.php List] Related field issue

Kevin Futter KFutter at sbc.vic.edu.au
Thu Aug 23 18:44:03 MDT 2012

I only use portal data in one quite specific instance, so I'm going to
have to rewrite the code for that page (which is a bit more work than it
sounds, but doable - and better at this stage than waiting around for
FileMaker!).

I know it's not considered best practice to access portal data via the
web, but it was set up this way for this particular solution in order to
reduce what would otherwise have been 3-4 separate requests to FM down to
one. In my experience, performance issues with FM and the web are related
to the number of requests it has to handle, not the amount of data it has
to serve (acknowledging of course that they're related issues). By
aggregating the data into portals on a single layout, I can serve all the
data I need via a single FX request, thereby reducing the request queue on
what *still* appears to be a single-threaded transaction engine...

Rant over!

Kev

--
Kevin Futter