[FX.php List] ODBC Selects and Inserts VS FX/XML Speed test

John Funk csinfo at criticalsolution.com
Thu Aug 16 11:40:56 MDT 2012

Just thought I would share my results of some tests I ran on a NEW fmserver
(Win2008)that was installed at my client. The FM server is part of an
offsite server bank. It is FileMaker Server 11.

The tests were comparing read and write speeds using the two technologies
from a command line PHP script. I also wanted to see the impact on the
FMserver's statistics.

The script was designed to find specific records from a large FM DB, in this
case the result is about 5000 records out of 980,500 records. No other users
were on the system at the time.

Test 1, using FX/XML, Find records = 20 seconds ave.
Test 2, using FX/XML, Find records, write to a text file = 21 seconds ave.
Text 3, using ODBC/SQL, Select records = 8 seconds.
Text 4, using ODBC/SQL, Select records, write to a different DB on the same
server = 27 seconds ave.

As you can see ODBC is much faster and ODBC is a direct call to the FMServer
engine rather than the web server that XML relies on.
A downfall of not using FX is you cannot call FM Scripts to run but this can
be worked around I suppose.

I am looking forward to any comments anyone has on this.

John Funk
Critical Solution