[FX.php List] [OFF] Question about DNS TTL (time-to-live)

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Tue Oct 11 06:38:09 MDT 2011

On Oct 11, 2011, at 7:31 AM, Steve Winter wrote:

> So about 9 days ago you set the TTL really low, but then never changed the IP addresses…?

Well, here's what I saw:

On the 5th or 6th, I changed all the domains' TTLs to 300 seconds.

On the night of the 8th, I moved my network to the new IP block.

On the 9th, which is 3-4 days after I'd changed all the TTLs, some of the domains took as long as 24 hours to pick up the changed IP.

> Or did you change them for a period of time last weekend…? either way, if the TTL had been low for a couple of days, stayed low through an aborted change, and change back, and has remained low, then you're about as set as you can be ;-)

Good; so I'm going to try this again on the 15th and keep my fingers crossed. A wrong subnet mask made the whole thing a complete mess…

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
bob at longtermsolutions.com
FileMaker 9, 10 & 11 Certified Developer
Twitter: bobpatin
Google+: http://www.longtermsolutions.com/plus
AIM: longterm1954
iChat: bobpatin