[FX.php List] I need a refresher

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Fri Dec 9 05:25:38 MST 2011

Steve,

I don't think SyncDeK is the issue; I haven't used FMDataGuard but have 2 huge systems using SyncDeK (total of 4 servers). We don't have the SyncDeK plugin installed on the server at all, and are running about 10 web apps that use FX.php.

Here's something that has happened to me in the past: database has a date field, user types in something silly like "December 8, 2011", which fails validation. We have a ticketing app, in fact, where someone was typing in "Saturday" because they ignored the instruction to use dd/mm/yy. I solved that by using 3 pulldowns (1 each for month, day, & year), so that the use is forced to submit the date in a format that FileMaker would accept.

Date fields will more commonly fail validation since text can be anything, but FileMaker wants to see an actual date in a date field.

I don't know about FMDataGuard since I haven't used it, but live in SyncDeK every day, and other than putting a TCP/IP plugin on the client machines, haven't put any plugins on the 4 machines running SyncDeK. There's no extra step for enabling SyncDeK for web app use.

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
bob at longtermsolutions.com
FileMaker 9, 10 & 11 Certified Developer
Twitter: bobpatin
Google+: http://www.longtermsolutions.com/plus
AIM: longterm1954
iChat: bobpatin