[FX.php List] 413 Request Entity Too Large

Erik Andreas Cayré erik at cayre.dk
Thu Aug 4 23:40:15 MDT 2011

Hi all,

I'll have a go at helping on this...

As I understand it,
-the Filemaker Server component is unchanged
-FMS itself is not part of the problem since the issue is between Apache hosting the miva.php script and the online store acting as a client
-the online store server is changed

so we must look to the online store server for changes.

> <title>413 Request Entity Too Large</title>

> and this from the error_log...
> [Thu Aug 04 07:30:38 2011] [error] [client 67.99.202.230] Invalid Content-Length

->The actual error message from Apache on the Filemaker server
For some reason, it appears the new online store server is sending a larger request than the former.

> The data is being sent as POST, here's a line from the FileMaker server Apache access_log...
> 67.99.202.230 - - [04/Aug/2011:07:30:38 -0700] "POST /miva.php HTTP/1.0" 406 -

->We know it is a POST request, but not it's size.
(I wonder if it means anything that the request is HTTP 1.0 as opposed to HTTP 1.1)

> error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.</p>

->Apache on the Filemaker Server is configured to send a HTML error document, but the online store server sending the XML data does not accept it.
Result: error 406
http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E406.html

To do: identify exactly what is different on the new online store server
Would it be possible to get the new online store server to also send the raw request via email for inspection?

IF the online store code itself is unchanged, we must assume the change is in the surrounding environment on the new server. It could be another version of some interpreter involved in forming the request to the Filemaker Server.

Maybe the new server software has different defaults, and no one has looked there yet, because the defaults on the former server just worked and so never invited any consideration...

> php.ini says "post_max_size = 8M" which should be plenty, no?  The amount of data in the XML being sent is relatively tiny.

Correction: The amount of data in the XML being sent _SHOULD BE_ relatively tiny.
Do we actually know the size of the request being sent?
I don't think we should look at the server hosting the miva.php script, as this server has not been modified.

I hope this helps...

---
Erik Andreas Cayré
Spangsbjerg Møllevej 169
DK-6705 Esbjerg Ø

Mobile: +45 40 16 11 83

»Interest can produce learning on a scale compared to fear as a nuclear explosion to a firecracker.«
--Stanley Kubrick

»If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.«
-- Albert Einstein

»If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?«
-- John Wooden, basketball coach