[FX.php List] Secure Credit Card forms/procedures

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Wed Sep 15 11:55:54 MDT 2010

Hi Folks,

In the never-ending list of subjects not covered in FMP Web
Publishing 101,  ;-), I am being tossed to and fro by client requests
to "fix" security issues on forms such as password change and  credit
card entry/edit, often after one of their clients complains...and
"fix" them back when another client complains in the other direction.

Sample issues:

Passwords:
	- Require original password to change to new password, or not?
	- Display password on screen during entry or use bullets?

Credit Cards
	- Display CC# during entry or use bullets, or one of those
bullets+last digit entered routines.
	- Which fields to re-display for editing, versus forcing re-entry

These can be argued either way in a security versus ease of use discussion.

What resources do you use for design standards and to be able to
demonstrate that the design *is" secure.

Ultimately, I would like to adopt the right level of security...and
then be able to back it up if/when challenged.

Thanks

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Schwartz