[FX.php List] Script executes, but hangs web page

Jon & Jane Montgomery vicepresident at comcast.net
Fri Oct 29 20:11:27 MDT 2010

Bradley,
    All of my experience with FX.PHP and the web are related to my real job
in education, and I have not always practiced what I am about to preach.
But having read almost every post on this site since I started work with FX
three or more years ago, I have picked up a lot of good information, but
because of my real job in life, teaching kids music, have not had time to
use them all, yet.  So here are a couple of things to think about and then
some of the true geniuses on here, and they are geniuses, will give you more
detailed or better ways.

    I learned from my first time using FX.PHP that Global fields from
FileMaker do not work well on the web, sometimes not at all, so I have I
have always avoided them like the plague. So there are ways around that to
accomplish the same thing as a Global field.

    I have also learned from the real geniuses here, but still do not
practice this as of yet, that it is not the always the best thing to let web
users delete anything in your database.  But as an alternative, MARK them
for deletion by setting a field.  It is my understanding then you hide those
records from the user, so the appear deleted, and then you, or the database
administer routinely deletes those records.  As I understand it, that will
keep the web user from deleting records that really should not be deleted.
Again, I have not put that into practice in my own system yet.  My apologies
to Tim ³Webko² Booth, it is on the list just have not gotten to it yet. ;-)

    As to the hang your are getting, my guess is that the global the
problem.  If I am wrong, someone will correct me.

Jon Montgomery, soon to be retired middle school band director hoping to
turn FileMaker/Web developer