[FX.php List] Mac mini Server

Roger Moffat rogerkiwi at mac.com
Wed May 5 20:21:29 MDT 2010

Thanks for the comments Dale and Gjermund..

On May 4, 2010, at 10:20 PM, Dale Bengston wrote:

> Server-based solutions deserve server-class hardware. A Mac mini
> with two hard drives is still running laptop drives.

There isn't really funding for running a "server class hardware" here
- this is for a non-profit society, which admittedly does make some
money from these databases, but not enough to justify say an Intel Mac
Pro for this.

The site has been running 11 years now - the first 6 were on a
PowerMac 6100, the last 5 have been on the trusty eMac.

> In the past, I've used PostFix Enabler to configure mail services on
> OS X. It looks like that product has morphed into MallServe. The $15
> registration fee is some of the best money you'll spend.
>
> http://www.cutedgesystems.com/software/MailServeForLeopard/index.html

That looks like what I'm after - the thought of Mac OS X Server was
partly in the hopes of easy mail configuration, but their products
look like they make this pretty painless. There are some other
features of Mac OS X Server that "interest" me, but I've been running
Mac OS X client for Apache/PHP/MySQL since soon after Mac OS X came
out without many problems. (Well the lack of GD Library from Apple
meant I used distributions from Entropy.ch for much of this time).

2010/5/5 Gjermund Gusland Thorsen <ggt667 at gmail.com>:

> I’d go for MacMini Server, but still install MacOS X regular, as it
> does not make a mess with Time Machine when running FMSA

I don't have Time Machine running on the server now, and wasn't
considering it going forward either - I have some scripts that run to
back up the databases, and then another script to save a compressed
copy of them, and then an Automator Action that copies them to another
computer via FileSharing, from where these compressed archives are
handled by Time Machine.

On May 5, 2010, at 1:05 PM, Gjermund Gusland Thorsen wrote:

> and change to SSD generation 2 or newer

This is referring to the hard drives - to replace with Solid State
Drives?

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm good at procrastinating, so will ponder
on this some more while watching the Apple refurbs page.

Any other comments are welcome.

Thanks

Roger