[FX.php List] Using a web app over a VPN

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Thu Mar 25 11:51:29 MDT 2010

Chris,

You nailed it on all counts; I talk to the client (who knows almost nothing) who talks to the IT guys (who *act* like they know more than they do) who come up with every way to blame FileMaker for the problem...

Last night they asked one of their guys to look at my web app to "see if he could spot the reason that it's slow." Not knowing FX.php of course, his brilliant conclusion was that "these lines of PHP code seem to be where the slowdown is." Four lines of code doing an FMView()... of COURSE that's where the slowdown occurs, because that's when it's trying to talk to FM Server!

We're going to do an end run, split the web app off into a little database and put it on a LAN with their webserver, saving them the future embarrassment of trying to figure out why their network isn't working right.

Thanks for your reply... and yes, this IT company has ingratiated itself to a point where they'd chew their own arms off to keep this account. :)

Best,

bob at longtermsolutions.com
iChat: bobpatin
FileMaker 9 & 10 Certified Developer