[FX.php List] Design for Locked Records?

Head Honcho headhoncho at customikesolutions.com
Tue Jan 5 17:30:57 MST 2010

Hi Jonathan,

I haven't bothered with this (yet), as the case of it happening is
remote, however, "remote" isn't a very reliable variable! So, it is a
good point.

I'd trap for error 301 (Record is in use by another user) and  maybe
302 (Table is in use by another user) and if you're paranoid 303
(Database schema is in use by another user).

If this is the case, the decision has to be made to programatically
"try again", eg in a timed loop; store the data in a session variable
to try again later (either manually or programatically), or manually
try again.  In each case, a message to the user would be useful.
"Database being used... trying again" or some such.

Minor issues can be taken care of, but the major one of someone
leaving their cursor in a field, and then going out to lunch/home,
could be a real issue, if that field/record is likely to be hit from
elsewhere.

Food for thought!

Regards

Michael Ward