[FX.php List] [OFF] printable very wide table?

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 13 11:46:01 MST 2010

Thanks Dale & GGT

I'm aware of media="print" for CSS, and I use that on printable pages.

The client's request is to be able to print spreadsheet-style tables
with potentially dozens of columns, so this will definitely require
multiple printed pages.  They've suggested using fixed-height divs to
simulate fixed page breaks so that rows A thru X would print at the
same places consistently on each page, with each page having a
different set of columns... but it seems to me that with all the
different possible printing environments for indiv users (e.g. browser
print settings: scale to fit, print header/footer; & printer specs:
fixed page margins...) it'd be pretty much impossible to get the rows
and pages to line up correctly & consistently for all users.

Which is why I'm thinking that a PDF, in which I *could* set page
breaks, is a more reliable option.

Can anyone think of anything better?

Thanks,
-Joel