[FX.php List] [OFF] Mac Hardware for FMS?

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed Sep 2 13:17:45 MDT 2009

Joel,

I know that lots of guys (Steven Blackwell especially) will tell you
to get the fastest possible machine on the market, but in my opinion,
the difference in response is not that huge when you go from a fairly
fast machine to the latest & greatest.

Having said that, I have a couple of thoughts:

I'm not a fan of single-machine configurations for PHP web apps; I'd
consider getting 2 machines, splitting the budget so that you can do
so. Having said that, here are some options that I'd consider:

You can buy used G5 Xserves all day long on eBay, and I've bought a
few and had excellent luck with all of them that I've bought. G5
2.0ghz Xserves are dual-core, are really cheap to buy (I've bought
cluster node machines for less than $500), and work great; you can
find them all the time. The problem with cluster node machines though
is that they don't have video cards, so you need another Xserve (not
cluster node) to install the OS, then put the drive into the cluster
node for operation.

Right now, http://www.macofalltrades.com has a used Power Mac G5/2.3
dual-core, 250GB drive, not much RAM at all (you'd need to buy 4GB or
so), for only $800, which is a great price.

If you're really wanting to stick with Intel Macs, you can also find
used Xserves on eBay that are Intel Xserves, and there are always some
great deals to be found. In the 12 years that I've been hosting, I've
probably bought 40 used Macs on eBay, and have never been burned, nor
have I ever bought a non-functioning machine.

New Mac Pros start at $2499; you could get 2 of those, but to me
that's spending more than is really necessary.

If it were me I'd find some used machines; I've had excellent luck
with them. In fact, when I started hosting CDML web apps in 1998 or
1999, I got a used iMac to host a guy's solution. He still has the
solution running, and that iMac has been sitting in the back of my
server room for 12 years, running fine, for those rare occasions when
he needs to access his old site. Why it's still there I have no idea,
but the iMac has been up and running nonstop all this time... :)

Best,

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: new_logo_idea3_120w.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 15728 bytes
Desc: not available
-------------- next part --------------

Longterm Solutions LLC
P.O. Box 3408
Brentwood, TN 37024
bob at longtermsolutions.com
iChat: bobpatin
Twitter: bobpatin
FileMaker 10 Certified Developer
FileMaker hosting and consulting for all versions of FileMaker
PHP ? Full email services ? Free DNS hosting ? Colocation ? Consulting