[FX.php List] Tired of making special solutions for every browser?

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Thu May 7 11:34:56 MDT 2009

Joel,

I know this question wasn't aimed at me, but I'll throw in my 2 cents
anyway, as I'm inclined to do sometimes... :)

 From what I hear when talking to clients, lots of offices still run
XP, with IT departments that don't update "unnecessary" components
like browsers (not my opinion, but one that I hear from my clients in
the field).

In large corporations where employees are strictly constrained from
updating their own computers, they use what they're given...

As to home users: I can't count the number of users I encounter who
are lucky to be able to use a browser at all, much less navigate an
updater and install the latest attempt at bandaging what is clearly a
lousy web browser. My ex-wife, for example, has still not learned how
to do things as simple as online software updates; she uses Windows
(against my advice, but I'm her ex now so what can I say...) and I'm
certain she wouldn't know how to update IE, nor would she know why she
*should* update it.

Then there are those clients that STILL have AOL email accounts...
speaks for itself. I realize people are hesitant to change email
addresses, but come on, AOL? That's so... 1990.

Also, there are a lot of really old PCs out in the world, still
churning through websites; tons of people using their original install
of XP, probably many without any security patches, many still without
virus protection. My ex-in-laws would be a perfect example; they don't
know squat about their computer other than to stare at it and wait for
it to *do* something.

One last thought, semi-related: no matter *what* I put on a web app's
forms, users will still try to use the BACK button. I can put it in 36-
point RED and they'll still use the BACK button. Some of my clients
seem to think that if you make the warning large enough, it might
work... my experiences tell me otherwise!

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: new_logo_idea3_120w.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 15728 bytes
Desc: not available

bob at longtermsolutions.com
iChat: bobpatin
AIM: longterm1954
FileMaker 9 Certified Developer
FileMaker hosting and consulting for all versions of FileMaker
PHP ? Full email services ? Free DNS hosting ? Colocation ? Consulting