[FX.php List] [OFF] Automated FTP Client for backup?

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Mon Mar 16 20:16:56 MDT 2009

I know this doesn't address your question, but I would be extremely
uncomfortable about not having a pristine set of my clients' sites for
emergencies...

Countless times I've had clients over-write code that I had done for
them, but in my case, since I use Dreamweaver, I have a full set of
the site docs on my computer here, and upload a page each time I
finish editing it. Granted, it's tedious to have to upload each time I
update a page, but there are a lot of benefits: a) my computer is
backed up with Time Machine every hour, so I have tons of backups of
sites that I've worked on; b) I never lose any of my work due to
having been "stepped on" by the client's error (or my own); c) I can
revert to the server copy if one of my tests doesn't pan out.

For example, tonight I duplicated my home page in my website, added a
feed to show my 3 latest blog entries on my home page; not wanting to
destroy my wonderful work from before, I tested the duplicate page
first, and then renamed it "index" when I was satisfied that I had
what I wanted. I suppose you can do the same by duplicating a page on
the server itself, but I really like having a local copy of every site.

When I finish a project, I ZIP the site with a datestamp so that I
know when it was archived...

I know many of you don't really like Dreamweaver, but it makes my
method so easy to maintain, plus I like all the features it gives me.

bob at longtermsolutions.com
Twitter: bobpatin
iChat: bobpatin
AIM: longterm1954
FileMaker 9 Certified Developer
Member of FileMaker Business Alliance & FileMaker TechNet
FileMaker hosting and consulting for all versions of FileMaker
Web hosting • PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting •
Colocation • Consulting