[FX.php List] Shopping Carts - Keep in SessionVars or Add Recordsright away?

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Wed Jul 29 11:43:17 MDT 2009

At 12:43 PM -0400 7/29/09, VanBuskirk, Patricia wrote:
>As a frequent online shopper, I like this idea.  I had over $100 of
>merch in my cart at Khols online, accumulated throughout the day, and I
>went away from my pc for a couple of hours to come back to an empty
>cart.  I did not try to re-shop, so they lost the business.

This underscores the role of the Filemaker/fx.php/API/etc web
developer as an e-commerce consultant.

FileMaker developers generally serve "unsophisticated" web clients.
The sophisticated ones have three floors of web programmers and
marketing staff.  So, the fx.php developer must advise the
unsophisticated client how to best serve the web customer.
Interestingly enough, the web customer has sophisticated expectations
after using systems such as Amazon, Ebay, etc.

So, unless the FileMaker web developer sets expectations otherwise,
or builds in the advanced functions that users have come to expect,
projects can fall short.

Can you tell that I'm on a soap box here?   I got on it the day
FileMaker Inc introduced the Site Assistant to "automatically create
multiple-page websites".

;-)

Jonathan Schwartz
Exit 445 Group