[FX.php List] Server WPE monitoring... solved

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Sat Jul 18 21:52:25 MDT 2009

I got to thinking about SmartPill, and wrote a simple little solution
for monitoring WPE and database servers.

Basically, it uses 2 components: a simple one-page FX query tries to
edit a record in the database; if it succeeds, it simply sends the
statement

print "Pass";

and if it fails, sends

print "Fail";

This gets sent back to the plugin and the database, where it's written
to a field. If it fails, an email gets sent to me, so that I know
which server's WPE isn't working (or which server is down).

Then, in FMSA 10, I trigger this script every 5 minutes; very easy to
implement, works like a charm.

If anyone's interested, it's a simple little database, but requires
SmartPill to be running on your FM server if you want to automate it.

Best,

bob at longtermsolutions.com
Twitter: bobpatin
iChat: bobpatin
AIM: longterm1954
FileMaker 9 & 10 Certified Developer
Member of FileMaker Business Alliance & FileMaker TechNet
FileMaker hosting and consulting for all versions of FileMaker
Web hosting • PHP • Full email services • Free DNS hosting •
Colocation • Consulting