[FX.php List] Windows/Apache instead of Windows/IIS

Steve Winter steve at bluecrocodile.co.nz
Fri Jul 10 16:25:14 MDT 2009

Hi Jonathan,

I'm not really sure what your question is...??

If you're looking for 'endorsements', then I highly recommend
following the FMWebschool instructions and moving to Apache on
Win2003... it's simpler, the configuration is transparent, and many of
the modules/instructions/concepts that are developed for *nix based
systems (including OS X) 'just work', rather than having to be
interpreted and mucked with to work under the IIS nightmare...

As I'm sure you can tell I'm not a fan of IIS, and was extremely
disappointed that FM pulled support for FMS on linux... these days
with OS X as a credible alternative, that's my preference, however
when the comparatively lower cost of a windows based server pushes
clients towards that platform I still go with the Apache alternative...

YMMV...

Cheers
Steve

On 10 Jul 2009, at 19:14, Jonathan Schwartz wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> The previous email fro John Funk struck a cord with me.  I'm
> battling a consistent problem at a client where FMP Customer Web
> Publishing using FMServer 10 and Windows Server 200/IIS simply dies
> from time to time.  Restarting IIS seems to remedy the problem.
>
> We have peeked under every rock to try and figure out what is dying
> and why...to no avail.
>
> John's mention of Apache reminder me the Windows/Apache is an
> alternative.
>
> My background is on the OS X Server side, so I have not been part of
> the client's web server discussion...until now.
>
> Thx
>
> Jonathan
>

> --
> Jonathan Schwartz