[FX.php List] PHP question: Presenting the user with multiple pages from each result

Leo R. Lundgren leo at finalresort.org
Thu Jul 2 14:24:08 MDT 2009

I can't really speak for fpdf because last time I used it was over two
years ago. At that time I was evaluating FPDF and PDFlib and found
that the latter was way more mature and competent. I cannot tell what
shortcomings FPDF had though, it's too long since. I just know that
there was no doubt about which one to choose :)

In this specific case though, it sounds like what you want to do isn't
that big of a deal, so I think both products will do what you need
them to. And to be realistic, fpdf is the easiest to "install" since
it's only a bunch of PHP files. The PDFlib extension is something you
must install, and if you're on some crappy shared hosting you might
run into trouble because you can't do it yourself.

Regarding ease of use I don't think either one of them is hard in any
way, and for a very small project it's a "whichever". It's natural
that whichever you choose, you must read SOME about it. On the PDFlib
side there's a cookbook at http://www.pdflib.com/en/developer/
cookbook/ , but I highly recommend the PDFlib tutorial which comes
with the download -- it's very balanced reading both on details and
"how to".

Any one of them will probably do, pick something that just works[tm] :-)

-|

2 jul 2009 kl. 20.24 skrev Steve Winter:

> I can't speak for PDFlib, but in terms of fpdf, it's relatively
> straight forward, take a look at http://www.fpdf.org/ and more
> particularly the tutorials which are there and show you pretty
> quickly how to create a pdf document...
>
> Cheers
> Steve
>

> On 2 Jul 2009, at 18:48, John Funk wrote:
>
>> Would writing the code to make a simple label with 6 or so text
>> fields a logo and 3 barcodes (jpg images) from dynamic data be very
>> complicated? (I know how to make the barcode images) I am not sure
>> I have the time for my learning curve with using the libs.
>> John
>>

>> On 7/2/09 12:34 PM, "Steve Winter" <steve at bluecrocodile.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> the fpdf class I've mentioned and PDFlib which Leo mentioned would
>>> have helped you do... ;-)

> Steve Winter
> steve at bluecrocodile.co.nz
> m: +44 77 7852 4776