[FX.php List] [OFF] Anyone Fluent with setting up Wordpress?

Leo R. Lundgren leo at finalresort.org
Wed Jan 28 03:52:05 MST 2009

The problem was that after upgrading from the stock (Apple) PHP4 to
Entrophy's PHP5, the MySQL extension had a different default setting
for mysql.default_socket. The new default path was invalid/not
pointing to the correct mysql.sock file, which resulted in the Blog
to be unable to communicate with MySQL since it used "localhost" as
the server name. Most likely different compile time configuration
directives between the two.

The thing is that when you have "localhost", it (the mysql extension/
client library) tries to use the socket file for communication, and
when you use an IP you force it to use TCP/IP instead. When using
"127.0.0.1" Bob's blog came alive again.

What we did was add "mysql.default_socket = /var/mysql/mysql.sock" to
any (in this case a new) file in /usr/local/php5/php.d; These files
are read upon startup of PHP (a restart of Apache is needed since PHP
runs under mod_php). That way PHP could connect to MySQL again using
the socket file.

-|