[FX.php List] [OFF] Backup strategy

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Fri Jan 9 16:55:03 MST 2009

Well, that's totally true; I hadn't thought about just taking a 500GB
drive, of which I have several sitting unused, and just copying to
there as a 3rd backup, and then when I've filled it, just deleting the
oldest ones.

At 10GB per backup, I could put 50 before I have to start bleeding off
the old ones; I may just do that instead of worrying about DVDs for
this machine...

Or I may just bite the bullet and buy another Drobo and use it for my
web servers instead of DVDs. I have 7 web servers, a couple of which
have huge web documents folders... but with a Drobo filled with 4 1.5
TB drives, I could do a LOT of backing up before I'd have to start
deleting the old stuff... :)

Any downside to my thought, other than that I have to throw away the
older backups (which isn't a problem with web site backups)?

BP

Bob Patin
Longterm Solutions LLC
bob at longtermsolutions.com
Twitter: bobpatin
iChat/AIM: bobpatin
FileMaker 9 Certified Developer
Member of FileMaker Business Alliance & TechNet
FileMaker hosting and consulting for all versions of FileMaker