[FX.php List] [Off] Using Clear Text Passwords/Registration Design

Joel Shapiro jsfmp at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 12 14:58:10 MST 2009

I agree with Tim on deciding with the client how secure they want/
need their system to be.  I had one client specifically ask to have
passwords sent in plain text in emails when a user forgets her/his
password, as they felt that would be easiest for everybody and their
site doesn't really need much security.

Another client recently wanted to use their company email addresses
as user login names.  I designed the system to let the users set
their own passwords, and then when they forget them, the client/admin
clears out that user's password (via their admin PHP page) so that
the user will need to create a new one on next login -- without
anyone ever seeing what the password had been.  I did this in part
because I realized that many users would probably use the same
password in this site as they use for their email acct, and I didn't
want the responsibilty of the client/admin having access to their
users' email passwords.

Best,
-Joel