[FX.php List] Economical Mac Server setup

Troy Meyers tcmeyers at troymeyers.com
Tue Feb 10 11:16:19 MST 2009

John,

This may only be worth 2 cents.

I like Mac Minis. Others may say they are unreliable, but I think that was an issue with the hard drive in early models, and I haven't experienced that at all, and they are so inexpensive new that a used machine is only a bit cheaper. For quite a while we used one Mini as the FM server, WPE, and Apache machine. We are currently using two of them, one as the FM server (advanced) and the other as the WPE+Apache. We doubled because our site is getting much more popular. Both are 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duos with 1 GB RAM. Neither have MacOS X Server -- nope, they are just consumer machines running Leopard. They work great. I've used them since FileMaker Server 8, but we are currently on 9, and are testing 10 on a spare.

-Troy