[FX.php List] Fun with time zones

Jonathan Schwartz jschwartz at exit445.com
Thu Dec 10 09:53:43 MST 2009

This is s new one for me. Wondering how others handle servers in
multiple time zones....

I just launched a project that involved three different servers, each
in a different time zone. Problems started cropping up when session
handling kicked in. Users that were supposed to get an hour before
session expiring were getting kicked off before then.

The decision to use multiple server locations was last minute in an
effort to  improve hardware to handle anticipated load. Once the
initial launch traffic slows down, the solution will probably be
consolidated back to a single location.

So the question is, how to best handle time zones in this situation?

In this case, the fmp record creation said 12:00 when the confirmation
email said 11:00 and so on.

I know that the answer is that it is just date math, but there are
some baseline practices to follow, it appears.

Any words of wisdom?

Jonathan Schwartz
Exit 445 Group