[FX.php List] [Off] FileMaker user dictionary file for spell-check

Troy Meyers tcmeyers at troymeyers.com
Fri Dec 4 15:17:26 MST 2009

This is way off-topic, but I haven't had any luck getting an answer elsewhere, so I'm trying here because you all know so much.

For years I've had this problem. I have a user dictionary "user.upr" which contains numerous esoteric words that we've accumulated ...all of which we use all the time. For some reason I've never been able to have FileMaker refer to the dictionary right away without me "fixing" it by using the "Select User Dictionary..." menu item. What's worse, is that I need to do that individually with each database I open even though I've already selected it.

As far as I know this dictionary is in the default location and has the default name that FileMaker "volunteers" when you set it up, which is "user.upr" in the "Documents" folder.

What can I do to have this dictionary be set up on launch? (Others have suggested a "launcher" file, but since I have to specify it for each database opened, this doesn't work.)

Better yet, is there a way I can put it on FMS so that all users refer to the big one? I have to periodically replace the file on the other workstations to keep it up to date.

Any thoughts? Have others had this problem?

-Troy