[FX.php List] FYI- Deprecated in PHP 5.3 (incl. ereg...) + PHP upgrades?

Roger Moffat rogerkiwi at mac.com
Fri Aug 28 11:37:26 MDT 2009

On Aug 28, 2009, at 1:06 PM, Joel Shapiro wrote:

> I recently discovered that the various ereg functions are deprecated
> in PHP 5.3.x -- and will be removed as of PHP 6.0.0.  I know I've
> got some older scripts that use ereg (or one of its variations), so
> I thought I'd pass this along to the list:
> http://us.php.net/manual/en/migration53.deprecated.php
>
> As an aside, when do you generally upgrade PHP on your existing
> sites?  As upgrades come out?  When required for security?  Never?

I don't write much of my own original PHP, but I have a set of
purchased scripts that I run for a number of genealogy sites.

I also run my own server on my Mac Pro, and since the genealogy
software requires the GD Library, and Apple doesn't include that I've
been using the PHP builds from Entropy.ch on my Mac.

I updated I think at 5.2.4 or thereabouts when I got a Mac Pro that
came with Mac OS X Leopard, and then went to 5.2.9 when Marc got back
into developing his builds.

Given the above list of deprecated functions, a move to 5.3.0 might be
a while yet.

Also of note is that at this early stage there is no Entropy.ch build
of PHP for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. I don't know what Snow Leopard
comes with - I'm patiently awaiting my DVD to arrive "before 3PM"
today, so will know later on. Hopefully it won't be long before Marc
has a Snow Leopard compatible build ready to go.

Roger