[FX.php List] [OFF] A Javascript question

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Wed Apr 22 16:55:20 MDT 2009

I have a Javascript question:

I have a table that builds rows, each of which with a checkbox.

There are 2 checkbox rows that I want to monitor, and if they check
either of them, show an alert to them.

I know that when the page loads, the 2 checkboxes in question are
going to get the NAMEs of "item3" and "item4", but I'd rather not have
to hard-code my javascript function, in case we change the database
and insert records that throw this all out of whack.

So what I was hoping was to pass a variable to the function, the
variable NAME (which for the two rows in question would be "item3" or
"item4".

No problem so far... I can do that easily enough.

BUT...

How do I construct this statement using the variable (whose name is
WHICH):

alert(document.form1.WHICH.checked);

Is there a way to write that ALERT so that it will return the state of
the checkbox that has been checked? The only way I've gotten it to
work is to hard-code it like this:

alert(document.form1.item3.check);

But then what if my client inserts a record that now makes item3
become item4, and so on...

Anyway, if anyone has any wisdom on this, I'd appreciate it; thanks,