[FX.php List] Best practice of selecting products from a list

Bob Patin bob at patin.com
Sun Apr 12 12:55:01 MDT 2009

John,

I might consider saving the selected products in a single record,
single field, in a list, which you could then parse back out for
display purposes.

So when you display PRODUCTS, I'd then collect the checkboxes using a
loop, write all the recIDs to a single variable and save it in a field.

For displaying it on a subsequent visit, you would read the record and
field, and then write a loop that creates a table row (or DIV) for
each line of the record, displaying that record's data based on that
RECID.

I wouldn't think that having 700 records in SELECTEDPRODUCTS, just on
the off-chance that they might select 10 of them, would be the way to
go, although I don't think my method would be any faster. The only
gain in speed would be from not needing to generate 700 records in
SELECTEDPRODUCTS for each company. This way, SELECTEDPRODUCTS would
only contain actual selected products for each company, and not 700
per company.

Regardless of how you do it, you'll have to look at all 700 displayed
products to see if they were selected; this means looping thru the 700
and doing an FMEDIT for each selected product.

Don't know if this helps, I'm jumping from topic to topic here on my
computer, not focusing on any one task too well!

bob at longtermsolutions.com
iChat: bobpatin
AIM: longterm1954
FileMaker 9 Certified Developer
FileMaker hosting and consulting for all versions of FileMaker