[FX.php List] [OFF] Method to access our server from outside

Troy Meyers tcmeyers at troymeyers.com
Sun Sep 21 09:05:58 MDT 2008

Ernest and Michael,

Thanks for the suggestions. In my case, the business is at my home (though on the ground floor), so my home computer shares the same network. Normally this is an advantage, but not this time.

The screensharing VPN idea seems good. If I did get a friend to volunteer an offsite computer, I'd probably just ask them to set it up with screensharing enabled so that I can access at will using a password, which I've done (and do myself for machines here, when I'm offsite), but that bothers me a little, because then if anything ever goes wrong with their machine, the question comes up if I was responsible. Also, I can't think of any of them that actually have a static IP address, so I usually have to ask what it is before a session where I help them to do something, or whatever.

Of course the iChat idea solves the changing IP address problem.

Maybe I should find a cast-off Mac (mini would be nice because it's small) capable of Tiger and plunk it and a hardware router somewhere at a friend's house.

But still, best because it would be ready now, would be the hypothetical server I was hoping for.

-Troy